Welcome

This is my journey. I want to share this incredible roller coaster ride of hopes, dreams, signs, emotional crashes, and excitement.
this is the space where i work out what is going on in my head. i hope that you can see yourself in my posts and that you will gain something from following my story.

Tuesday 20 May 2014

worry gremlins

brene brown wrote about shame as a gremlin ... you feed it and it grows stronger and meaner ...

well i want to write about the worry gremlins. 

the worry gremlins whisper to me throughout the day, and if i don't acknowledge them, they get louder and louder until i give in and feed them. the more i worry, the stronger the gremlins become. they say things like "you're going to miss the bus" or "the car is going to explode while you're driving" or "your teeth are going to fall out of your head." okay, that last one is what my dad used to say if i didn't want to brush my teeth. but i think some of the worry gremlins are actually my parents' voices in my head. 

i am like a sponge and the worry is water. the more i worry, the more i soak in more worries. it is never ending. 

today's worry is about my car. cars are a big worry for me. i had to take my car in for repairs and i have a rental car. so of course, the worry gremlins are nattering on in my head. 

"you're going to bump into something when you park it. you don't know it's size. it has no back-up camera. it has no beeping sound to tell you you're going to hit something."

"the car has no gps so you're going to get lost. at least once."

"you wont recognize the car when you park it and you wont be able to find it and you'll wander around the parking lot for an hour, crying and wishing you had your own car back so that you don't look so stupid searching for a car."

"you're going to park it too close to another car and then it will get dented. and then you will have to pay for that damage too."

the gremlins are winning at this point. 

captain stressy pants suggests there are 3 options to responding to the worry gremlins. 

1. "it's cool, worry gremlins, i got this."
2. "fuck off!"
3. ignore them

i like all 3 ideas. the problem is that when i am under attack from the worry gremlins, it's hard to turn off their voices and get out from under the siege. 

it's time to speak up for myself, even against my own voice in my head. 

be kind to yourself,

xoxo

...

1 comment:

  1. I also like these 2 strategies. Especially the one about changing the voices location. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JiVEfkUIuMI&autoplay=1

    ReplyDelete