Welcome

This is my journey. I want to share this incredible roller coaster ride of hopes, dreams, signs, emotional crashes, and excitement.
this is the space where i work out what is going on in my head. i hope that you can see yourself in my posts and that you will gain something from following my story.

Saturday 5 April 2014

fat rant


“Fat-bashing in all its varied forms–criticism, exclusion, shaming, fat talk, self-deprecation, jokes, gossip, bullying–is one of the last acceptable forms of prejudice. From a very young age, before they can walk away or defend themselves, women are taught that they are how they look, not what they do or what they know. ”  - Robyn Silverman





fat phobia is the last allowable ism. you would be uncomfortable if someone was making racist jokes. you would think it was wrong if someone was making jokes about a disability. but for some reason it is completely acceptable to make fat jokes. 

today i overheard someone making fat jokes.

making jokes about weight isn't okay. 

at all. 


“If you've been fat, you will always feel and see the world as a fat person; you know how difficult it is ... it never leaves you.” - caitlin moran



we look at fatness as though it is due to laziness, self-indulgence, low self-esteem, insecurity, and gluttony. fatness is treated as an imposition to society. 

a joke. 



we don't look at the person. we judge. we see the fat, and we judge. 

i can't tell you how many doctors have told me to lose weight. as if it's easy. as if i have chosen to be fat. as if i could just wake up tomorrow and not be fat anymore. 


“Every weight loss program, no matter how positively it’s packaged, whispers to you that you’re not right. You’re not good enough. You’re unacceptable and you need to be fixed.”      - kim brittingham



the fact is, being fat sucks. i hate it. i hate it because i spend my life feeling judged. judged when i walk into a store that has clothes that don't fit me. judged when i order french fries instead of salad. judged when wear a bathing suit. judged. 

the truth is, i am probably judging myself. 

at the same time, there are so many instances of fat stigma ... 

Huffington Post has an article with segments of women sharing their stories. Here are a few excerpts that stuck out for me:


I was browsing the selections in my size, which mainly consisted of just plain black bras. When a sales associate approached me and asked if I needed help, I told her I was looking for something in a color other than black. After hearing my size, she said: "Well we don't really have much in that size because boobs aren't really supposed to be that big."


What I would say to those who point fingers and shout, "Fat!", including my late mother and grandmother, is, "Shut up. Stop putting your own body image issues onto others. We know if we weigh more than 120 lbs. We get it that you think we're fat. Fat is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. Your bullying isn't acceptable. We'll lose weight when and if we are ready."


Accustomed to skinny girls, everyone would make fun of my huge frame by saying that I "took too much space" or "might as well try joining sumo competition." What hurts me the most is the fact that the verbal bullying happened mostly during my family gatherings, and they didn't seem to care or be aware of the pain it brought to me. I ended up locking myself in the bathroom, crying myself to sleep and constantly avoiding the family gatherings.


 I applied for a clerical job fresh out of college at a local optometrist's office that had advertised an opening. I had a stellar interview, as far as the line of questioning went. As we were wrapping up, the optometrist's wife, who was conducting my interview, gazed past me and said "You know, we have VERY small hallways here."

j.k. rowling wrote: " 'fat' is usually the first insult a girl throws at another girl when she wants to hurt her. i mean, is 'fat' really the worst thing a human being can be? is 'fat' worse than 'vindictive', 'jealous','shallow', 'vain', 'boring', or 'cruel'?"


it's time to break free from what society has decided is the right body type and size. it's time to smash our scales.



it's time to stop listening to the fat phobia, to the fat jokes, and to the hateful things that are thrown around as if they are funny. it's time to break the cycle of fat shaming. and it's time to stop making fat jokes. 

because they aren't funny. 

period. 




be kind to yourself, 

xoxo

...

No comments:

Post a Comment