Welcome

This is my journey. I want to share this incredible roller coaster ride of hopes, dreams, signs, emotional crashes, and excitement.
this is the space where i work out what is going on in my head. i hope that you can see yourself in my posts and that you will gain something from following my story.

Saturday 29 March 2014

PCOS

i have been getting a lot of questions lately about PCOS; what it is, how it affects me ...




so i thought i would give my readers a quick PCOS lesson. 

the main thing i have found is that most people have never heard of it, know nothing about it, and don't understand what a profound affect it has on the people who have it. 

basically, i hate it. it makes the hair on my head fall out, but grow on other parts of my body. it gives me acne. it gives me what is called "brain fog" (which for me is aggravated by my fibromyalgia diagnosis that also causes brain fog). PCOS causes weight gain. it made getting pregnant super tricky, because i don't ovulate without medication. it makes me have all these eating rules, and can lead to diabetes and other awesome diseases. 

mostly, it makes me feel like my body is in control of me instead of me being in control of my body. 


Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a hormonal disorder that affects many women. infrequent periods, skin tags, pelvic pain, anxiety, depression, excess hair growth everywhere but your head, hair loss, acne, weight gain, dandruff, oily skin, lack of ovulation, and the growth of cysts in the ovaries ... just a few of the symptoms that make this disorder oh so much fun. 

increased androgens are the cause of the pesky symptoms.




there are many things that women with PCOS have to be aware of as we make our lifestyle choices. according to the mayo clinic:


Having polycystic ovary syndrome makes the following conditions more likely, especially if obesity also is a factor:
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • High blood pressure
  • Cholesterol and lipid abnormalities, such as elevated triglycerides or low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, the "good" cholesterol
  • Elevated levels of C-reactive protein, a cardiovascular disease marker
  • Metabolic syndrome, a cluster of signs and symptoms that indicate a significantly increased risk of cardiovascular disease
  • Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, a severe liver inflammation caused by fat accumulation in the liver
  • Sleep apnea
  • Abnormal uterine bleeding
  • Cancer of the uterine lining (endometrial cancer), caused by exposure to continuous high levels of estrogen
  • Gestational diabetes or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure, if you do become pregnant

well that's just a happy list, isn't it?

PCOS affects not just our physical health, but our mental health as well. PCOS can cause what feels like a decline in femininity. the hair loss and excess hair growth in awkward places makes us feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. 

i know what i need to do to feel better and control the symptoms. there are many natural ways. i find it hard because it feels like someone is bossing me into taking care of myself instead of me being the boss of myself. and if you read my previous posts, you know how much that bothers me! 

click here and here for posts about control and being the boss of yourself. 




be informed, be aware, be kind to yourself,


xoxo

...

No comments:

Post a Comment