Welcome

This is my journey. I want to share this incredible roller coaster ride of hopes, dreams, signs, emotional crashes, and excitement.
this is the space where i work out what is going on in my head. i hope that you can see yourself in my posts and that you will gain something from following my story.

Saturday 21 June 2014

writers block

“Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing more to say?” 

i have been struggling to write over the last month. struggling to find topics. struggling to find words. i have spent hours staring at the blank screen, waiting for ideas to burst forth from my fingers. 

i love the feeling of the keys clicking under my fingers. the sound of the keys, clicking and clacking. click click click making words, sentences, thoughts and ideas. phrases that will be read. phrases that share my inner world. 

“Discipline allows magic. To be a writer is to be the very best of assassins. You do not sit down and write every day to force the Muse to show up. You get into the habit of writing every day so that when she shows up, you have the maximum chance of catching her, bashing her on the head, and squeezing every last drop out of that bitch.” 

i love to write. i am scripturient. my OAC english teacher called me a prolific writer. i write every day. and the idea that i am out of ideas scares me. so, i am writing about writing. i am writing about my lack of writing, my struggle to write.

“Don’t waste time waiting for inspiration. Begin, and inspiration will find you.” 

i am sitting here, listening to the click click click, feeling the keys clickity clack under my fingers. hoping that i will come up with some brilliant idea that will inspire my readers. or more importantly, inspire myself. 


“I haven't written in a week. It's like holding your breath under water. You feel an awful constriction and then the instinct to propel yourself.” ― D.A. Botta


it's only been 2 days since i have written. but it feels much longer. the absence of words leaves an emptiness inside of me. a longing to put my thoughts into words. words into phrases. phrases into organized ideas. breathing life into words, and words into breath. 

the typing is rhythmic and soothing. like a drum beating to the rhythm of a heartbeat, my typing makes me feel alive. and having nothing to write about leaves an absence deep inside of me. 


“All writing problems are psychological problems. Blocks usually stem from the fear of being judged. If you imagine the world listening, you'll never write a line. That's why privacy is so important. You should write first drafts as if they will never be shown to anyone.” ― Erica Jong


as a blog writer, i don't have the luxury of pretending to write like no one will ever read what i say. this blog has had over 12,500 page views. 12,500 times something that i have written has been read. it is an instant way of connecting with the world. there is nothing as satisfying as getting comments and responses to my writing - even when those responses disagree with me. in fact, the disagreements are the most exciting responses for me to read.


“writing about a writer's block is better than not writing at all” ― Charles Bukowski


be kind to yourself,

xoxo

...

No comments:

Post a Comment