Welcome

This is my journey. I want to share this incredible roller coaster ride of hopes, dreams, signs, emotional crashes, and excitement.
this is the space where i work out what is going on in my head. i hope that you can see yourself in my posts and that you will gain something from following my story.

Wednesday 25 June 2014

gratitude

i have been thinking a lot about gratitude and what it means. 

“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” 
― Marcel Proust

these last 6 months have been the most difficult of my life and i was able to navigate my way through the darkness because of the support that i received. without that support, i would still be flailing in the darkness. 

and i am grateful. 

“Sometimes life knocks you on your ass... get up, get up, get up!!! Happiness is not the absence of problems, it's the ability to deal with them.” 
― Steve Maraboli

life certainly knocked me on my ass. but just getting up and dealing with my problems wasn't that easy. i needed time to cocoon in a blanket on my couch, to work through the darkness, to become stronger and healthier. and i wasn't able to do it on my own. 

so what does it mean to be grateful?

“Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” 
― A.A. Milne

being grateful means acknowledging the people who have done something for you, who have given you something, who have supported you. 

“When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” 
― Maya Angelou

gratitude is being thankful for the gifts that are offered to you, regardless of what those gifts are and what form they come in. being thankful for a hug. being thankful for a smile. 

“We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” 
― John F. Kennedy

i make a point of thanking people when it is warranted. being thanked feels good. and doing the thanking feels good too. feels genuine. 

“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” 
― Cicero

think about the people who have made a difference in your life. can you find them and thank them? think about the people who make a difference every day. what can you do to express your gratitude? sometimes it means paying it forward. sometimes it means literally saying "thank you." 

it is such a small act with such a huge impact. 

yesterday, i was thanked by a parent for helping their daughter and was told that the biggest thing i did for their daughter was pay attention to her instead of ignoring her and letting her fall through the cracks. it was a little thing for that parent to tell me that, but it made me feel good. 

how can you make someone feel good? leave your ideas in the comments field, or send me an email. 

be kind to yourself, 

xoxo

...

No comments:

Post a Comment